Friday, June 26, 2009

You know you had one sparkley glove.

I'm gonna do the cliche thing here and weigh in on this Michael Jackson business. I'm sad. Like, to a surprising degree. I'm not one to usually get all emotional about a celebrity. The only celebrity I can remember openly weeping for was Chris Farley (still pisses me off!) It's weird when someone famous dies because it's not like you know them, but they're still a part of your life to some degree. I was pretty fanatical about MJ during my elementary school days, and I never lost respect for his talent or his music.

I guess in some ways I feel sad because I always thought his life was a little sad. Maybe it's weird but I kinda viewed him in the same way that you think of a young child with a terminal illness. Like, it's just sad that they never had a chance to live a normal life. He went all crazy every now and then but his life was always such a fucking circus, like, what normal person could come from that? All I know is that he had some kick-ass tunes and he was a fucking legend.

And as far as legends go, there aren't that many left, so it's worse to see one go at a pretty young age. I will be sad when Prince dies. Little purple coffin. That will ruin my day. I will be close to inconsolable when Aretha Franklin dies. She is a bad-ass bitch and my big fat hero. Seriously, love. I know there are others still worthy of admiration, but these are the ones for me.

I think another thing that's weird about Michael Jackson dying is that it was from cardiac arrest. He was always so child-like. I dunno, some part of me fully expected him to die like in a tragic ferris wheel accident or like from falling off a trampoline or something. Heart attacks are for old people, not legendary childlike sprights. Jeff said he's sure it's drug-related. He also said it was weird that David Carradine died from auto-erotic asphyxiation and MJ died from a heart attack and that the universe got it backwards. I told him to go away and let me watch Billie Jean in peace.

I guess the only thing that matters now is that those songs will live forever. No matter what he did or didn't do in life, you can't deny his music is fun and awesome. Plus, in the immortal words of Dave Chappelle, "He made Thriller, man...THRILLER!" And as his final act, he did something no one has done for as long as I can remember. He made MTV play actual music videos during prime time on a Thursday night. R.I.P dude.

18 comments:

big_mummy said...

omg tricia i was all somber and nodding and agreeing and then i was imaginging him breaking his neck falling from a carousel! I totally see what you mean.

agreed. RIP dude.

Rachel said...

You know, for all of his craziness (and there was a LOT) I have started to see in the last 24 hours how much hell he was put through as a celebrity, but also from his family. I mean, imagine what his life was like...he was so so alone. I feel like a tiny part of my childhood is gone.

LAF said...

He changed the world, there's no denying that. It is sad...

Dina said...

it don't matter if you're black or white Tricia

Unknown said...

DINA! lol

I had a sparkly glove...and lots of other MJ shit. I was into him big time. My brother texted me yesterday since I was out shopping at the mall...and I was shocked. I wanted to cry but I was at Macy's and shit- so I get in my car and all of the radio stations are playing his music...THEN I started to cry :( Hella sad dude. I came home and downloaded all my favorite tunes of his so I can cry when I wanna now.

:( RIP KING OF POP!

Unknown said...

Oh man, great post. I had to laugh at "little purple coffin" for Prince!
I had a sparkly glove PIN that I wore on my jacket.
I am sad as well - such a talent wasted.

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

Yeah the little purple coffin made me crack a smile too ;)

MJ was still a big thing for me, but a little before my time yet. Or maybe just not my genre. He did make quite the impact but...I don't know. Not on me I guess. I'm more shocked that he died of a heart attack at 50...dude that's so young!

Amy said...

a trampoline accident? THAT would be tragic.

I'll forever sing "DirdyDiYANNAnooo" You know you just sang it, too.

arielcircleofnine said...

Im feeling kind of sad too, but guilty also. Like why didnt I realize that no matter what was true about his freakishness or untrue about it that he was a total musical genious till he croaked? I mean I realized it, but maybe let the bullshit get in the way. You're totally right Tricia--what normal person could come from his childhood? Very sad....

arielcircleofnine said...

Oh by the way, just heard Purple Rain in the car lol.......

Action Jackson said...

Man now I'm all depressed. AGAIN. I can't believe he's gone... and by cardiac arrest? It's like when Bruce Lee died, everyone was like... wtf?

M said...

Well said.

saoirse said...

yeah....cardiac arrest? clearly the heart attack stems from some other reason that theyll search for for the next 8 months. i loved him when i was a kid! is it weird that a 6 year old knew all the words to billie jean and did a dance to it in the talent show? these days, my parent would have been carted away! i agree, so much other freaky weird crap overshadowed what he meant to music.

wildfluffysheep said...

I didn't realise he had that many songs! Maybe I just live under a rock.

It's interesting how his death is being portrayed though...

LEGEND.

Mastercheif said...

Yes, very sad. I loved the guy! I grew up with his music. What a tragic story.

karen said...

I remember I had the Michael Jackson doll that was the same size as Barbie & Ken. Red leather jacket, glove ... whole deal. Ken couldn't actually wear the jacket but Barbie looked kickass in it!

I do have to give it to him.

He finally made his big comeback.

Hopefully he's somehow able to see/feel the fans coming out of the woodwork.

Lisa said...

It is sad... and each passing day as his music is receiving more attention...it reminds us just how brilliant he was.

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

We had no TV or internet on the first island that I was on....I came back and turned on CNN and BAM, Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcet (sp?) GONE and 9 people died on the local (DC) Metro. I leave and the world falls apart, not cool.

Post a Comment